A major update for Borderlands 3 and its Director’s Cut add-on goes live today at 12 PM PT / 3 PM ET, and it introduces many new changes to the game. The main pieces of new content to the Director’s Cut include the new raid boss Hemovorous and a series of murder mysteries investigated by Ava.
In addition to these fresh adventures, Director’s Cut owners can now take advantage of a new progression system known as Vault Cards. Vault Cards allow players to unlock themed cosmetics and scaled gear based on completing daily and weekly challenges. The update also adds gear to the Designer’s Cut, as well as cosmetic packs for those who own Season Pass 2. The Director’s Cut and Designer’s Cut are included in Season Pass 2, which is a $30 paid DLC.
In terms of base game content, the update introduces Maurice’s Black Market Vending Machine, a hidden vendor who sells legendary loot, and whose location changes every week. Additionally, players can look out for Crazy Earl’s Reroll Machine, which allows you to reroll an existing anointment on any piece of gear. This patch makes many wide-ranging changes to the game, so check out the full patch notes below for all the details.
Where To Buy Borderlands 3 Season Pass 2
In other Borderlands news, we recently learned that Dutch actor Olivier Richters will play the leader of the “psycho bandits” in the film based on the hit series. Franchise developer Gearbox was recently sold to the Embracer Group, which the company says will allow it to develop new intellectual properties.
Borderlands April 8 Update Patch Notes
New Content included in Director’s Cut:
Added support for the new Raid Boss: Hemovorous the Invincible
- Hemovorous has made her lair behind a previously sealed door on Pandora, and Director’s Cut is your chance to go toe-to-pincer with this monstrous enemy!
- To take on Hemovorous, players will need to complete the main story campaign and own the Director’s Cut content. You will receive the raid mission from inside Claptrap’s closet on Sanctuary III. It will cost 500 Eridium for your group to open the door, giving you the opportunity for new loot if you succeed.
Added support for Ava’s Murder Mysteries
- Ava is convinced she has a lead on some potentially supernatural slayings and has decided to document her findings in serialized podcast form. Consider yourself her gun-toting co-host as you investigate strange happenings on Pandora, Promethea, Eden-6, and Nekrotafeyo in search of answers (and loot) with the help of some familiar faces.
Added Behind-the-Scenes Content
- A new menu option is available to Director’s Cut owners! Explore a gallery full of concept art, storyboards, lost maps, and footage from throughout the game’s development—including a very special animatic for Maya that wasn’t able to make it to Borderlands 3.
Added support for Vault Cards and their rewards, and implements the first Vault Card of three
- Vault Cards are a new challenge-based progression system in Borderlands 3 that will unlock a bevy of themed cosmetics plus some supremely powerful gear that scales to your level.
- The Vault Cards will have three Daily Challenges and one multi-tiered Weekly Challenge each.
- The Daily Challenges will reset at 9:00 AM PT every day and the Weekly Challenges will reset at 9:00 AM PT every Thursday
New Content for Designer’s Cut & Season Pass 2:
- Added four new pieces of gear to Arms Race for players with the Designer’s Cut
- Added the Disciples of the Vault cosmetic packs for players with Season Pass 2
Each character-specific Disciples of the Vault pack includes a one-of-a-kind Vault Hunter Body and matching Head, which you can mix and match with any other customization options you have in your collection.
New Base Game Content
Added support for the Maurice’s Black Market Vending Machine
- Maurice’s Black Market Vending Machine is offering different top-tier Legendary loot that will be hiding in a new location each week (excluding DLC maps)
- This vending machine will relocate at 9:00 AM PT every Thursday
Added support for Crazy Earl’s Reroll Machine
- For 250 Eridium, you will be able to reroll an existing Anointment on any piece of gear—but beware: you can’t take it back once you’ve rerolled your Anointment!
- This machine will be permanently located near Crazy Earl on Sanctuary III
Opened the Diamond Armory on Sanctuary III
- Located under the Bridge on Sanctuary III, the Diamond Armory opens a whole room of loot
- The room is activated with the use of a Diamond Key, which are rare rewards that can be obtained through Vault Cards!
- Updated the R.Y.N.A.H. to be able to roll with Anointments
- Updated Broken Hearts Day weapons to be able to roll with Anointments
- Updated Heavy damage Artifacts to properly increase Heavy weapon damage
- Updated Action Skill Active Anointments so that switching to an ASA-Anointed weapon while the Action Skill is active benefits from the Anointment
- Addressed a reported concern that all players would not hear the Eridian log in the medical bay after “The First Vault” mission
- Updated DLC2, DLC3, and DLC4 to properly scale with the player’s level in True Vault Hunter Mode
- Updated the Eridium Jars in Moxxi’s Heist of The Handsome Jackpot to appear correctly for all players
- Renamed the Operative’s “Critical Mass” Class Mod to its proper name: Spy
“Critical Mass” is a new class mod in Director’s Cut; the name was switched along the way somewhere and this change corrects that!
- Updated the HOT Spring Legendary grenade from the Designer’s Cut to show correct textures
- Addressed a reported issue that was causing downed players to stay in FFYL after being revived in Arms Race
- Addressed a reported issue that was causing skill points gained during Arms Race to not be granted properly
- Added an indicator that a player is spectating in Arms Race after dying
- Addressed noticeable hitching throughout the game when players were engaged in heavy battle
- Updated timed events to grant current event rewards if the player played the previous year
- Updated Captain Haunt to prevent him from staying invincible if his phylacteries (what a word) were destroyed too quickly. Players will not see this change until the Bloody Harvest returns!
- Added hotfixes to the game permanently
Vault Hunter Changes
- Updated Moze the Gunner’s Harmonious Havoc ability to award the proper amount of damage after entering FFYL
- Updated Amara the Siren’s Phasegrasp skill to correctly activate when doing damage in situations where it cannot grab enemies (like bosses)
- Updated the Siren’s Phaseflare Orb to activate properly when aiming at the ground, using an Action Skill, and switching weapons at the same time
- Modified the Siren’s Remnant skill projectile to have its own damage source
- Updated the Remnant skill to only allow gun and Action Skill damage to pass through in a Remnant Orb, to match the item card
- Updated FL4K the Beastmaster’s Cmdl3t class mod to trigger on bullet, melee, and skill damage
- Updated the Beastmaster’s ION Loader pet to follow moving enemies when using the Eye Laser Attack
- Updated the Beastmaster’s “Bad Astra” skin in the Quick Change to use the correct icon
Platform Specific Changes:
- Updated the friends list on Epic versions of Borderlands 3 to not display friends that do not exist
- Updated the edge detection for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X
- Addressed a reported issue in split-screen that was causing some art and text to crossover into the bottom screen
- Updated icons to display properly in the ECHOmap in split-screen
- Updated the Operative’s “Double Barrel” skill to show the full effect in split-screen
- Addressed a reported issue that was causing the “Tales from the Eridian Slab” and “Master of All You Survey” trophies to sometimes not unlock on PlayStation 5. Players that have completed these requirements should have the trophy awarded next time they play Borderlands 3 after updating
- Addressed a reported issue that was causing Guardian Rank to reset when transferring save data between PS4 and PS5
- Added a screen to obscure SHiFT menus on PlayStation 5 when streaming
- Addressed a reported issue that was causing some players to be unable to search for other players after starting matchmaking
- Addressed various system errors that would sometimes display when PlayStation 4 players had Slow HDD on
- Addressed a reported issue that was sometimes causing player character, level, and map location to not be shown in multiplayer
- Addressed a reported issue that was causing some Xbox users to be unable to join their friend’s game from an invite while the game was not open
- Addressed a reported issue that was allowing some Xbox players to continue playing online without an active Xbox Gold subscription
- Improved server consolidation on Xbox
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.